Monday, July 10, 2017

Photos: Painting Over Old Furniture Piece

 I was given this night-stand by my mother. I guess that's what you call it, it's pretty old and I lost one of the shelves years ago. I figured I could use it as a night-stand on my side of the mattress to put my phone and other stuff when I go to sleep. I actually used to use it as a make-shift computer desk when I still lived with my mother. I don't think it's real wood but it has a walnut-ish stained look to it. Some of the the finish did wear off in spots and painting seemed to be the way to go for me as I don't really like to stain anything anyway.
I had to prep it as I didn't want to screw it up. I cleaned it with Simple Green with Lemon and that was a piece of cake. Then there were holes (mostly for a shelf to be rearranged) where I used vinyl spackling on to make them nice and even. Then I used a coat of Bullseye 123 Plus Primer I had left over from another project to prime a surface that may not have taken regular paint very well. It's always best to use a primer after you use something like spackle anyway because most likely the spackle and the rest of the surface are going to "take" the paint very differently.
I tried using a foam-brush as I was honestly running out of mini-rollers, but that didn't work out too well. Rolling the 2nd coat of primer covered much better. Sometimes it's not the paint/primer, it's the tools you use. Some people are awesome with brushes whether they are foam or bristle, but I usually only use them for spots you can't get to with a roller. This reminded me again why.
We are eventually going to paint our room a blue color so I wanted it to match. I figured I could use a little bit out of the gallon to paint the furniture piece. I picked the Benjamin Moore color Bayberry Blue (790) and had it color-matched into interior Olympic One paint in a semi-gloss finish.
But this is what it looked like when I was done. It stands out a bit now, but once we paint the wall the same color it'd be different. But that's a task for another day. 

12 comments:

  1. It surely stands out, looks almost brand new so that's a job well done. Greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting really good at this Adam, nice job Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! You did an awesome job, Adam. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're becoming quite an accomplished furniture restorer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the finished result! You gave it life.

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYYOUTUBE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a fan of Flea Market Flip and get amazed at what people can do with old furniture. You really did a great job, and the color is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a good job breathing new life into an older piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to redo something old and make it new! People need to learn more on how to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The redo looks great. Those tables are perfect night stands. I have one simlar that is being used as a pland stand.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks terrific! It's a good idea to paint furniture and give it a new look.

    ReplyDelete